Amoxicillin is used to treat different types of infection caused by bacteria, such as tonsillitis, bronchitis, pneumonia, gonorrhea, and infections of the ear, nose, throat, skin, or urinary tract.
Amoxicillin is also sometimes used together with another antibiotic called clarithromycin (Biaxin) to treat stomach ulcers caused by Helicobacter pylori infection. This combination is sometimes used with a stomach acid reducer called lansoprazole (Prevacid).
Common side effects include nausea and rash. It may also increase the risk of yeast infections and, when used in combination with clavulanic acid, diarrhea.
To make sure amoxicillin is safe for you, tell your doctor if you have:
- liver or kidney disease;
- mononucleosis (also called "mono");
- a history of diarrhea caused by taking antibiotics; or
- food or drug allergies (especially to a cephalosporin antibiotic such as Omnicef, Cefzil, Ceftin, Keflex, and others).
Take amoxicillin exactly as prescribed by your doctor. Follow all directions on your prescription label. Do not take this medicine in larger or smaller amounts or for longer than recommended.
Some Brand names of amoxicillin in Bangladesh:
- FIMOXYL (Sanofi-Aventis Bangladesh Ltd.)
- MOXACIL (Square Pharmaceutical Ltd.)
- AMOXICAP (Renata Ltd.)
- AVLOMOX (ACI Ltd.)
- AMOTID (Bio Pharma Laboratories Ltd.)
- REMOXIN (Rephco Laboratories Ltd.)